Stephen R. Covey's book recommendations:
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
(happiness, history, religion and spirituality)
"Books recommended for aspiring leaders: Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. I talked to Viktor Frankl just before he passed away. He was over in Austria in the emergency room. He was blind, and his wife was reading to him four or five hours per day, and I was expressing my gratitude to him for his life’s work and the contributions he’d made. We had known each other in many situations before. He said, ‘Stephen, you talk to me as if I am checking out of life. I’ve got two more projects I’m finishing up.’"
- A Guide for the Perplexed by E. F. Schumacher
(business books, nonfiction, religion and spirituality)
"Favorite books: A Guide for the Perplexed by E.F. Schumacher. The reason why is [that] it discussed the four levels of being. [For example], the car I’m driving in is mineral. Then, I look outside, and I see trees: That is mineral plus life. And then I look at animals: That is mineral plus life plus consciousness. Then I see a person: That is mineral plus life plus consciousness plus self-awareness. [This] means people can reinvent themselves because they can recoil upon their consciousness. They are not a product of the past, or of their present environment, or of someone else’s treatment of them. They are not even a product of their thoughts or of their feelings because they can think about those things, and they have the power to choose their response to all of those things."
- The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life by Jim Loehr
(motivational, business books, happiness, success, self-help)
"This book powerfully and inspiringly communicates that we are the creative force of our own life. We can write and act on the stories that give our life its greatest meaning and fulfillment. Jim Loehr has produced another brilliant and immensely practical book."
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Donald O. Clifton
(motivational, business books, careers, management, management / leadership)
- Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow by Chip Conley
(business books, happiness)
"Chip Conley gives a brilliant analysis of the absolute necessity of Maslow's hierarchical paradigm in unleashing the talent and commitment of customers, employees, owners—in fact, stakeholders. Great resource material for leaders, trainers, educators, even parents. Chip practices in his hotels what he teaches—most successfully!"
Why should you listen to him?
With his pioneering work in Principle-Centered Leadership, Stephen R. Covey is widely acknowledged as one of the world's leading authorities on empowerment. Thousands of organizations worldwide--including two thirds of the Fortune 500--have adopted his innovative techniques on quality, leadership, innovation, trust, teamwork, customer-focused service and organizational alignment.
Dr. Covey received an MBA from Harvard and a doctorate from Brigham Young University, where he was professor of organizational behavior and business management. His many awards include the Thomas More College Medallion for continued service to humanity and the Mc-Feely Award from the International Management Council for significant contributions to management and education.
Dr. Stephen R. Covey is co-founder/co-chairman of Franklin Covey Company, the largest management and leadership development organization in the world, dedicated to Dr. Covey's vision of empowering organizations to implement principle-centered leadership in their cultures.
Some of Stephen R. Covey's milestones:
- Over 20 million books sold (in 38 languages)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People was named the #1 Most Influential Business Book of the Twentieth Century
- Authored four titles with sales exceeding one million copies each: First Things First , Principle-Centered Leadership, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Latest book, The 8th Habit , has sold nearly 400,000 copies
- International Man of Peace Award
- National Fatherhood Award (father of 9, grandfather of 44)
- Author of the best-selling nonfiction audio in history (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)
- No. 1 best-selling hardcover book on family (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families)
- MBA from Harvard, doctorate degree from Brigham Young University
- Board of directors for the Points of Light Foundations
- Co-founder and vice chairman of FranklinCovey, the leading global professional services firm with offices in 123 countries
- International Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Awarded eight honorary doctorate degrees