• Search this blog

AddThis Share This Article Get Updates by Email email2 Tell a friend



ISBN:0060883286
Book Cover: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia MarquezBook Cover: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia MarquezBook Cover: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez



FamousPick:


Bill Clinton, former U.S President

Bill Clinton, former U.S President

"..."


Ann-Marie MacDonald, award-winning actor, playwright, and novelist

Ann-Marie MacDonald, award-winning actor playwright and novelist

"This was the most influential book of my early adulthood in terms pure literary thrill. "Magical realism" is a term coined for Márquez and the Latin American school of authors of which he is a stellar example. It describes the liberties with physical reality that Márquez takes and offers to us as part of just another ordinary day. The scope and narrative daring, the passion and political intelligence are soaring."


James Patterson, Award winning American author

James Patterson, Award winning American author

"I think the main reason I've worked so hard to get my ten year old Jack hooked on books -- is that I wasn't hooked until I was a freshman in college. Ever since, reading has been one of the greatest joys of my life. Catcher in the Rye made a big impression on me in high school, but the book that got me hooked was 100 Years of Solitude when I was 19. Jack says that my Max series got him hooked. Makes me proud!

What was the book that most influenced your life?
A Hundred Years of Solitude is probably the novel that most influenced me as a young writer -- simply because as I read it, I realized that I could never do anything half as good. So why not try mysteries? Gabriel García Márquez's magical mystery tour begins with one of the most engaging lines in fiction: "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." What follows is an exhilarating recounting of a century in the imaginary Colombian town of Macondo -- the comedies and tragedies, joy and suffering, sublime and ridiculous. An entire town, for example, is affected with insomnia at one point in the novel. A woman literally rises to heaven while drying her laundry. And eventually, the firing squad, fires. Some have called this the great American novel – only it was written by a South American."


Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

"Reflects the richness of the Latin soul (and body). Every time you read this book, you read a different book."


Edward P. Jones, The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winning author

Edward P. Jones, The Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winning author

"Two books that I consider wonderful: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez -- which may not need further words."


Oprah




.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Like what you read? Then please sign up for Free Email Updates.
Your Ad Here
Clicky Web Analytics ss_blog_claim=97ecb57082a7f066aef5d0c86d1492fd